Tax reliefs and rebates available

Updated: Apr 5

In order to be eligible for tax reliefs and rebates, you need to:

  • Be a Singapore tax resident; and

  • Meet the qualifying criteria.

General reliefs available to all taxpayers

Reliefs for male and female taxpayers

Reliefs for female taxpayers

General reliefs available to all taxpayers

Course Fees Relief

You are eligible to claim relief for the Year of Assessment (YA) 2021 on the fees incurred for any course, seminar or conference leading to an approved academic, professional or vocational qualification, or that is relevant to your current profession or if you have completed a course between 1 Jan 2018 to 31 Dec 2019 related to your new profession in 2020.

However, certain courses are not applicable for this relief

You will not be able to claim relief for courses that are:

  1. for recreational or leisure purposes;

  2. for general skills or knowledge; and

  3. for a hobby instead of your profession.

Polytechnic/University courses are not eligible for relief if you have not previously exercised any employment or carried on any trade, profession or vocation.

You can claim up to a maximum of $5,500 each year regardless of the number of courses you attend. Take note you are only allowed to claim the portion of the fees you paid. Subsidy amount from your employer or any organization cannot be claimed.


How to claim:

  1. Login with your SingPass or IRAS Unique Account (IUA) at myTax Portal.

  2. Go to Individuals > “File Income Tax Return”.

  3. Select “Edit My Tax Form”.

  4. Go to “4. Deductions, Reliefs and Parenthood Tax Rebate”.

  5. Go to “Course Fees” and enter your claim.

CPF Cash Top-up Relief (Singapore citizens and PRs only)

You will be eligible for this relief if:

  1. You have made cash top-ups in the previous year under the CPF Retirement Sum Topping-Up Scheme to your Special Account (below age 55) or Retirement Account (age 55 and above).

  2. You have made a cash top-up in the previous year under the CPF Retirement Sum Topping-Up Scheme to the Special/Retirement Accounts of your:

  3. Parents or Parents-in-law;

  4. Grandparents or Grandparents-in-law;

  5. Spouse; and/or

  6. Siblings.

Do note that this relief is only applicable to cash top-ups. Transfer of funds from one account to another is not considered as top-ups.

Maximum CPF Cash Top-Up Relief per Year of Assessment (YA)

The maximum CPF Cash Top-up Relief per YA is $14,000 ($7,000 for self and $7,000 for family members).

If the amount of Cash Top-up to your own or family members' CPF Special/Retirement Account remains below $7,000, the amount of relief will match the top-up amount. If it exceeds $7,000, the amount of relief will be capped at $7,000. Also note that there is a limit on the amount of cash top-up that qualifies for tax relief.

The relief is automatically granted to those who are eligible based on records from the CPF Board.

CPF Relief (Singapore citizens and PRs only)

-For employees

Contributions qualified for CPF Relief

  • Compulsory employee CPF contribution under the CPF Act or contributions to an approved pension or provident fund;

  • Voluntary contributions to Medisave Account.

Contribution not qualified for CPF Relief

  • Excess voluntary contributions in addition to the compulsory contributions

  • CPF contribution on additional wages that exceed the cap on wages from related employers (employed concurrently by two or more relate employers in a year).

  • CPF contributions for your overseas employment

The amount of CPF Relief is capped by the amount of compulsory employee CPF contributions made on Ordinary Wages and Additional Wages under the CPF Act.

You will only be eligible to claim the CPF Relief if your employee CPF contributions have not exceeded the Ordinary Wage Ceiling and Additional Wage Ceiling. If exceeded, the excess amount will be regarded as voluntary CPF contributions. This excess amount would be taxable. However, voluntary employer CPF contributions for your income from overseas employment are not taxable.

-For Self-employed/Employee who is also self-employed

If you are self-employed and contributed to your employee CPF and Medisave, you are eligible for CPF Relief. If you have an assessable net trade income, you will automatically receive self-employed CPF Relief.

Persons who are both Self-employed and an employee

Self-employed persons who are also employees who made compulsory CPF contributions as an employee and Medisave contributions as a self-employed person as well as voluntary CPF contribution.

If your total compulsory CPF contributions is less than the CPF relief cap for self-employed persons, you will be eligible for tax relief on the voluntary CPF contributions. It will be capped at the prevailing CPF contribution rate for the year.

If it exceeds the CPF relief cap for self-employed persons, no tax relief will be allowed for your voluntary CPF contributions.

How to claim:

The relief will be allowed based on the date of payment. If you have made Medisave contributions or voluntary CPF contributions during the year, the relief will be automatically be allowed in the following year.

Compulsory and voluntary Medisave contributions

You must make compulsory contributions to your Medisave Account after you receive a Notice of Computation (NOC) of CPF Contributions from IRAS if:

  1. You are a self-employed person;

  2. You are a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident; and

  3. Your net trade income is more than $6,000.

The Medisave amount that you have to contribute yearly depends on your age, income level and net trade income for the previous year. The contribution amount is generally a percentage of your total business trade income subject to a maximum cap.

Contributions are to be made within 30 days of the date stated in the Notice of Computation (NOC) of CPF Contributions from IRAS. The NOC will state the amount you are required to contribute. You do not have to wait for the NOC to make your contributions. Contributions can be made throughout the year.

Alternatively, you can make your contributions through GIRO Instalment Plans. The payments will be according to the instalment plan issued by the CPF Board. In order to do so, please contact the CPF Board directly for this arrangement.

Voluntary contributions to Medisave Account

Tax relief can be claimed for you voluntary Medisave contributions if you are a Singapore Citizen/PR and received any source of income in the year you made voluntary contributions to your Medisave account.

Earned Income Relief

If you have taxable income from your employment, pensions or any trade, business, profession or vocation in the previous year, you will be eligible to for this relief.

Amount of Earned Income Relief

The amount of relief is dependent on two factors, your age and the taxable earned income in the previous year.

How to claim:

The relief will be automatically allowed to you based on eligibility.

For handicapped persons

Persons with permanent physical or mental disability affecting their ability to work will be granted a higher Earned Income Relief, the amount is as follows:

First-time claim for handicapped earned income relief